11.28.2011

Take Me To Sorrento



Take Me To Sorrento

               I was eager to see Sorrento.  The name alone aroused my curiosity. Something special about that place, so i told myself.  I made sure my digicam battery was fully charged.  My grandson Maximus kept asking:" Why do you always take your camera with you?"  And my answer was blunt: " I love my digicam more than I love your grandma. Don't ask me again. And don't tell her that."

               We left on a Wednesday, that day being my son's day off from work.  We were bound for the Mornington Peninsula which is south of Melbourne and about 1 1/2 hours by car.  Sorrento is a serene seaside town off Port Philip Bay. Most of its more than a thousand residents belong to the upper class. One notable resident is Australian singer Tina Arena who sang the song "Sorrento Moon".

              What captivates visitors the moment they reach Sorrento is the picturesque view of the foreshore.  With its wooden jetty and the fishing boats docked at a far distance, the scene is absolutely visually pleasing.  Complementing the soothing sounds of waves touching the shores are the beautiful sounds of seagulls. Truly relaxing. Soothes the mind, soothes the nerves.

             To the left of the foreshore is the Pier where a big ferry boat is docked.  The ferry leaves Sorrento every hour on the hour for the bayside town of Queenscliff, which is at the opposite side of Port Philip Bay.  The 40-minute-ride treats passengers to a magnificent view of the coastline.  Dolphins and seals are also sighted on the way to Queenscliff.  And cars are allowed on board.  For a fee, of course.

             As part of my usual itinerary, I moved around the town.  An old movie theater, built in 1894, is still operational. The old post office is still there.  There are a lot of cafes and restos. A meat shop offers alligator meat.  And there is a store selling Sorrento's famous Vanilla Slice. And fish and chips too.

            Now I headed back to the foreshore.  Some seniors were fishing. With good bait and fine hook, they seemed to be enjoying and having a good catch.  A fishing boat anchored nearby. A flock of seagulls were hovering around. I listened once more to the sounds. And I looked again to the far sea as the wind gently blew. I was enjoying the kiss of the wind.  Oh, how I wished the day would not end.  How I wished that beautiful moment would be repeated many times over.  Beautiful, indeed.

- Konted

" I remember how it all came true
It was oh so tender
And I was lost with you
By the sweet Sorrento moon "

View of Port Philip Bay from the road

Beautiful shot

Fishing boats in background

The long jetty of Sorrento

A flock of seagulls near the jetty

Sorrento's park

Clear waters of Port Philip Bay

Clean and clear

Ferry that takes you from Sorrento to Queenscliff

It is a 40-minute ride.  This is one of the principal attractions of Sorrento.

Pay your tickets here

Paved walkway and painted concrete posts

Seagull is an intelligent bird

Way to the seaside resto

Maximus and his inseparable shovel (& pail)

What are you doing there, Maximus?

Two lovely seagulls

With grandson Maximus

Sorrento's serene beach

Another pier near the border of Portsea & Sorrento

With a good catch for the day

Pier taken from another angle

Important details

You can make arrangements for your fishing activities

Sorrento's golf course

Vacation houses of well to do Aussies

Providing a good view of Port Philip Bay

This bar offers fine wines and liquor

Business center


Free range meat available here

Sorrento's version of fish and chips

Sorrento's famous vanilla slice is sold here

Alligator meat & Venison steaks sold here

Good coffee for good conversation

You can try this for a change

Tempting Ad

You go here for your bait & tackle

Old Athenaeum theater built in 1894

The old post office

This art gallery is just across the foreshore

Light scooter catches my fancy

Wedding receptions are held here

Portsea Hotel

Playgrounds  are everywhere

Sorrento's fish and chips