1.12.2012

The Times Are A-Changin'



The Times Are A-Changin'

          In the old Roman calendar, March was the first month of the year. After December came March. But this was changed and January and February were added. From 10 months to 12 months, so I was made to understand. And January was taken from the name 'Janus', the Roman god of beginnings and transitions. Janus is a two-faced god looking two ways. Similarly, January is symbolic as we look forward to the months ahead and, likewise, we look back to the past months. A good time to contemplate and make assessments. And if needed, we make adjustments and reset goals.

          As I sat alone in an armchair amidst the blaring sounds and glittering, colorful lights shooting across the skies welcoming the new year, thoughts of years gone by started flashing through my mind. As one who sometimes finds delight in dwelling on the past, it was flashback time for me. I was turning back the hands of time.

          I clearly recalled, many years ago, when my 2nd son Allen was a grade school student at the Ateneo de Manila in Katipunan. He was an energetic kid who liked to run and run and play basketball with just anyone his age or even older. He always had marbles and bubble gums in his pockets and when it was time to go home, it was not surprising to see dust and dirt on his shoes, pants and shirt.

          There was a time when he had a near scuffle with a bigger, taller and older student. There was some pushing or shoving but no punches were thrown. It was "away bata", so to speak. The bigger kid. while taking a fighting stance, shouted: "Hindi mo ba alam anak ako ni Senator Heherson Alvarez?" To which my son Allen, with clenched fists, shouted back: "Hindi mo din ba alam anak ako ni Teddy Gener?"

          Here was Allen pitting his father against the father of his opponent. A plain citizen against a Senator of the Republic of the Philippines. Allen had that big psychological image of his father that he would accept any dare or challenge. In his mind, I was bigger and tougher than anyone else. BTW, this is just an old story about Allen which I sometimes recall and it always elicits that corresponding laughter. I do not mean to put the other kid and the good senator in bad light. Senator Alvarez was a good member of the Philippine Senate and I always voted for him. Back to the ballgame.

          Now, why am I telling you this? Because times are a'changin'. In those days, I could do no wrong in the eyes of Allen. I was indestructible. I was invincible. I was infallible. He looked at me as the walking encyclopedia. But not anymore. Not now. He begins to question my wisdom. My opinions do not carry a lot of weight anymore. He does things most of the time on his own. Without consulting me. A stark contrast to the days of old. The times, they are really a- changin' !!!!!

- Konted

Allen now with a family of his own

Allen is now 34 yrs. old while Albert is 22 yrs. old - 12 yrs. apart

Allen's eldest son Andre

Andre likes to play billiards

With his grandfather watching

I don't know the existing billiard rules now

This Macau bird knows the real score

Allen's grandmother joining the toast during UP's College of Law  centennial celebration last December.  She is now almost 94 yrs. old.

With Atty. Viben (Gene's legal adviser)

With UP College of Law Dean Raul Pangalangan

With her granddaughter Dra. Princess Gener

Contemplating on new year's eve

Old to pedal a bike?

With Allen's daughter Ashley

Not allowed to drink Cola but...

Fountain to greet the new year

More fireworks

Watching fireworks display

Round or oval for a prosperous new year

P.I.'s Castañas

Free-range eggs

Will this really be a lucky year?

Sipit ng Alimango

For higher cholesterol level

Medium shrimps

Porkloin

Fish Fillet

Tender meat with gravy

Crispy Pata

Fiesta Ham

Host Rene G. with Dr. Rondel G. Torres & wife

Allen with his Tita Ivy

Waking up their lola to greet the new year

"Listen, this was how we did things in the old days"

With cousin Ric

With Dr. Rondel

With cousin Art G.

With Ric & the Guevarra siblings

Allen's Tita Brenda


Allen's Court of Appeals.  He always appeals my decisions to his mother.

Dra. Excella G. Torres (father's sibling) & Atty. G. Gener (Allen's Supreme Court)