9.12.2011

One Foggy Afternoon in Tagaytay


0
Hazy view of Taal Volcano from the ridge

One Foggy Afternoon in Tagaytay

              I was driving leisurely along Aguinaldo Highway in Tagaytay City the other day when fog enveloped the entire area and reduced greatly my driving visibility.  It was 2 pm and I opened my halogen light.  It didn't help any and I feared that I could be bumped from behind or head-on.  I was forced to park on the shoulder near the entrance of a 1st class subdivision.

            It was near the ridge but I couldn't get a good view of Taal volcano as the fog wouldn't clear up. My travelling companion was fast asleep.   I got off and walked to a plant nursery a few meters away. I saw pots of Milflores.  There was white.  There was blue.  And there was purple.  I chose the purple one and paid P50.  By this time, fog had cleared up and I continued my driving in the direction of the Ninoy Aquino Rotunda.

             But as I was approaching the cluster of restaurants along the ridge near Magallanes Drive, there was this second wave or second round of low hazy clouds forming again.  Same problem, same situation once more.  Thus, I quickly decided to turn right at a gravel road leading to that row of fine eateries.  Catching my attention was Mile Hi Burgers. 

            In the early years of Camp John Hay in Baguio City,  Mile Hi, 19th Tee, Halfway House, Main Club and Lone Star were the favorite hangouts.  And when I was working there in the highlands in the 80's, Mile Hi was my sons Alex and Allen's faved haunt. For their American Burgers and pinballs.

            With open windows, there is comfy atmosphere at Mile Hi Tagaytay.  And you have that 60's setting that makes one nostalgic. Old photos and posters adorn the walls. Just as we were placing our orders, there was a heavy down pour and we began to feel the cold weather.  Of course, we had Bacon Cheese Burger reasonably priced at P255 and a Mozzarella Stuffed Burger at P240.  And French Fries.  And bottomless Iced Tea at P70. 

             The burgers were juicy and fine for our taste buds enhanced by Heinz tomato catsup and McCormick's mustard.  We enjoyed every bite with Paul Anka's old song Do I Love You?  being played : "Do I love you?  Don't you know by now?....Do I love you? Must I show you how?....Do I love you? Must I always say?...Do I love you? Yes in every way ! "

             It was 4:30 pm when the weather cleared up.  That is one thing good about Tagaytay fog.  It comes and it goes.  It appears and it disappears.  Unlike the fog in my mind.  It continuously stays there, more so now in my senior years.  Evident in my memory fogged by time.


-Konted

Mile Hi Diner in Tagaytay
Logo near main door


Comfy atmosphere

Old, old posters

Neatly arranged tables

Mile Hi Burgers, of course

Vintage Cars

Coke was 5c then

Replica of old stickers

Feeling the cool breeze

Framed old posters

Bacon Cheese Burger & Bottomless Iced Tea

The other one is a Mozzarella Stuffed Burger

Classic Heinz Ketchup & McCormick Mustard

Posters depicting a  bygone era

Attentive service personnel

More to choose from

Wide parking area